Vegter-Tschetter Heritage

Father's Parents
William Vegter & Tryntje Vegter

Mother's Parents:
Peter Statema & Florence Statema

Father & Mother:
Father: John Vegter (1897-1983)
Mother: Fannie Statema Vegter (1901-1989)

#1: Bill (1922-2005)
#2: Pete (1923-2003)
#3: Henry (Hank) (1924-2004)
#4: Harry (1926-1997) Grave, Cemetery
#5: John (1929-)
#6: Theresa Florence Vegter Los (1931-2014) Obit
#7: Franklin (Frank) Charles (1935-) Wedding
#8: Florence Vegter Gerharz (1940-)
#9: Ron (1943-)

John & Fannie Vegter
with 9 Children

John, daughter Florence, and Fannie

History of John Vegter and Fannie Statema Vegter, recalled by Fannie, September, 1982, age 80

John was born May 28, 1897 in Thesinge, Groningen, Netherlands. He was the third child born to William and Trintje Vegter. Leaving Rotterdam, Holland on the Ryndam, John (passenger #23, "Jan") arrived at Ellis Island, New York, on June 16, 1914. Fannie was born, December 12, 1901 to Peter and Florence Keizer Statema in Friesland, Netherlands. She was the oldest child, having three younger brothers. Her parents came to America when she was 6, leaving Fannie with her grandparents in Holland. Leaving Rotterdam on the Noordam, grandparents Hette and Reikje Keizer arrived with Fannie (passengers #19, 20, 21), age 8, at Ellis Island on May 19, 1910, and joined Fannie's parents on a farm near Orange City, Iowa.

"My Dad's dad dried herring and smoked them. My dad was a sea going man. He would go 3 or more months out to sea, the North Sea. They were fishing for herring. When they had the boat full, they would go to Port. That was his living. We lived in a house with 2 rooms; my folks lived in one room, and my grandparents in the other, with a door in between. One day I was running back and forth, and my mother had a pot of soup made with buttermilk and barley. It was boiling over, so my Dad without thinking put it on the floor. I cam running in and fell against the pot. My butt was burned and my right leg. They got the vinegar bottle and poured vinegar on the burns. My leg blistered as I had a stocking on, and mother pulled it off. But the blisters pulled off with the stocking, and I had a terrible sore leg which took a long time to heal. There were no blisters on my butt, but I am 80 years old and can still see the place where [my leg] was burned. I went to school in Holland, had wooden shoes, and a pair of slippers for the room.'